Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's Peach Month!!

My friends, Caroline and Sarah, rang in peach month the right way--in Nashville, AR. I love to make peach preserves, so I took the girls down with me. We left Friday morning around 8:40 which was way too early for C. I think she wanted to punch me in the face. Nevertheless, we set out on our roadtrip. I pull out cd's from way back with songs like Mmmbop, My Love is Your Love, and Mouth. Please tell me you remember the song Mouth by Merril Bainbridge. She's an Aussie. We jammed and finally pull on Old Chapel Hill Road when Caroline asked, "What is that?" She was pointing to a chicken house. SHE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE! I was shocked, and little did she know that my cousin Seth has some. That story is coming later.

As soon as we got to the house, we began peeling peaches. Poppa and Uncle Bobby were sweet enough to pick the peaches for us Friday morning, and Granny and Poppa were kind enough to come help us peel peaches. We made 9 batches of preserves. That would be 36 cups of peaches and 49.5 cups of sugar. Sounds like a sugar coma to me!

The girls also got a tour of Jamison Road. I introduced them to most of the family including the newest edition, Asher Howard. That's my cousin Ace's baby boy. The girls also got to see the infamous gravel pit where much of my childhood was spent in a make believe "Land before time" adventure. It was also the place where my brother fell off the cliff. So many stories. Then I took them to the cow graveyard. We had to cross a fence. That's something Caroline has never done before. Caroline looked at the barbed wire fence and said, "I didn't know this was going to be dangerous." She thought she was going to get Tetanus. If she only knew how many times I've had run ins with barbed wire, she'd be shocked that I was still alive.

After that, we went to Seth's chicken houses. He just got baby chickens that were two days old. There were 10,000 of them in there. The girls were amazed! It is a pretty awesome sight. Then they got the rundown of how everything worked. For those of you who know my cousin Seth, you know he is a man of few words. It was funny to hear him answering all of their questions.


Saturday night, the girls had their first gun shooting lesson...ever. We decided dressing up in era clothing would be appropriate. My mom said, "Out of all of Little Rock, you found these two girls to play dress up with you." It's true. I was very excited that I wouldn't have to play dressup all by myself.











You can't wear a civil war dress without pantaloons. Come on!




It was a very fun weekend! I think I tired them out though. Anyone else that would like to experience the magical Jamison Road, let me know. Peaches, dressup, guns, chickens....now that's what I'm talking about.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love it!

Lana Summitt said...

Please oh please oh please let me go next time!!! HILARIOUS.