Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Life in my land far, far away

I AM ALIVE! my trip here was anything but safe. my plane rides were great, arriving on time. The taxi driver at the airport at san jose took me to the bus station as i had asked him to. we were driving through san jose. it was great yay yay yay until we started driving in the slums. Then he pulled up to this warehouse and said that we were at the bus station. ok, that's fine. i walk in and every eye is on me. mind you, i didn't have on nice clothes, no makeup, my hair was all over the place. I was no movie star, but you could have heard a pin drop. I slowly took off my designer sunglasses and slipped them in my purse. eek I could tell very few americans, especially solo women, rode the bus. I buy my plane ticket for $6 (i know! very cheap) and hop on. I barely made that bus. It was a very nice bus, like our chartered buses, and was very clean and smelt nice. That's a plus. Did i tell you i saved $174 dollars by taking the bus? well now you know.

The people at the school informed me the bus ride was 2 hours to Nicoya, when there I would catch the bus to my town, Samara. 2 hours past, 3 then 4. I finally ask the guy sitting beside me"Dude, what's going on? Did I miss the stop?" He said that we had 1 more hour. A 5 HOUR BUS RIDE! Through the many hours on the bus, I was at attention. I had my backpack between my legs, squeezing it and my purse in my lap, wrapped around my arm. I've never been terrified in another country until now. Someone could totally have kidnapped me and no one would have known. But none the less, I made it to Nicoya and from there took a $30 taxi to Samara. YAY!

My family is great! the house is so nice especially compared to my house in guate. school is great. we have to speak the whole time so it's helping me. the beach....aaaaahhhhh. it's all beach. it takes me 3 min to walk from my house to the beach. i'm about to go play for 3 or so hours until my class at 1. well that's all for now. oh and guess what? i bought the biggest pineapple ever ever for $1! i'm going to eat one everyday! jejejeje

No comments: