Wednesday, July 9, 2008

the sting of the century

leave it to me to get stung my ocean life. i mean, really? i was swimming away, not very far out, when OUCH! i couldn't see what it was but i knew that my foot was burning like crazy. i get out, show my roommate Kate, and we book it home. luckily we were close to our house. my mama tica said that i got stung by a miniature manta ray. eek! it was bleeding and by the time i got home, the burning/numbing sensation was all the way up my right side. by the way, it stung me on the right foot.

the treatment? to burn the poison out. mama tica lit a candle and held it on the wound. i was lying on my stomach writhing in anguish. isn't this just awful? i know i know. ok so back to the fire. she held the flame on the wound and asked me if i felt it. i said no. she said that if i started feeling the heat then the venom was leaving my body. about 20 minutes later, i started feeling heat. amazing huh? i'm so thankful she knew what to do because there isn't a hospital for hours.

i was surely the talk of the school. manta ray stings only happen about once a year--i just happen to be the lucky person! ha ha Other than that, everything is swell. i have gained so so much weight. the food here is the bomb dot com. i'm definitely going to miss it. just wait for my next adventure--horseback riding en la playa. ¡divertido, no?

No comments: