Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Brush Your Shoulders Off

HAPPY FALL!

One of my best friends in the entire world got to come visit during my four day weekend. It is so wonderful to spend time with Meredith and Baby Chandler!



Ya'll, I'm not going to lie. The past few months, there have been a whirl wind of emotions. Love, hate, sorrow, self pity...you name it and I felt it. After a four day weekend, I am much improved and ready for Thanksgiving. Oh I love me some Pilgrims! God bless America and the Mayflower. Through all of these wonderful emotions, I have had to say to myself, "Brush your shoulders off." You said it straight, Jay-Z.

I said that to one of my students yesterday. She was a bit confused after we learned definite and indefinite articles. I told her that it would come with time and practice, and I also told her to "brush you shoulders off." Dead (I mean dead) silence...then LAUGHTER! We all got tickled, and I just had to stop teaching a giggle. They just took me down left and right. "Oh no! That's old school." "You said that sooooo white." "You are too white." "You listen to Jay-Z?" "She obviously don't listen to no straight (cool) stuff."

We just laughed and laughed and laughed until...I was the only one laughing. Those who know me well know that I laugh at myself more than anyone else. I just can't help it! I'm just so weird and goofy that I tickle myself. So I am laughing out loud, by myself, and that gets the kids going again. It is so GREAT to laugh with your students! There are those times when it's ok, and you can achieve so much more from your class just from laughing with them. There are many, many, many times when I want to slap them silly or as they say, "Boy, I'm gonna hit you upside yo head."
Caroline's first time to eat AND to cook deer steak. Everyone has to have the deer steak experience of eating and frying it up real nice :).


It's just so very difficult to form relationships with students in such a tough environment. I went into the school year thinking that I was going to help all the kids that needed help. Well let me tell you, I was WRONG. Maybe I am helping in some way. Maybe they haven't let their guards down. All I know is that I am just trying to survive mentally every day. That's all I know right now. I made a B on two grad school assignments. I told myself I wouldn't cry--it's just a grade--it doesn't matter. But then I realized I just have to survive (and of course, pass ).

So yes, I am good. Healthy as a horse. It's all about perspective, and that is a very hard concept for me. You always think you have it the hardest when, oh no girl and boy (if there are any that read this), there's always someone out there that has had a poopier day.

Dinner with Chance and Timmy B.




















Halloween party!

Updates:

Aunt Tricia--has taken two rounds of chemo. Read the latest here at http://www.mostlysweet.blogspot.com/. Please keep Trixie in your prayers! She started a new drug called Tarceva this week, so please pray that it's effective and that the side effects are mild.

Brittany and Waylan--they are getting hitched on November 20. I can't believe it's finally here. On a sadder note, their Maltese, Duke, was run over and killed yesterday. They are devasted! It's like losing a child. Duke was even in their engagement pics. Pray for them as well!


This my sister and Duke.

No comments: