Sunday, May 15, 2011

Europe trip update

Here's the route.
Let me put it to you in layman's terms: this time next month I will be in Sevilla, Spain. That sends chills down every one of my vertebrae. I mean, really ya'll. Chills. To think I will be walking the streets in Spain, laughing with my friends, finding me a Spanish man, eating Spanish food, finding another Spanish man....the list could go on and on. 28 more days until departure, and I've already started packing. That's right. One can never be too prepared.

Here's the run-down of cities/countries:
June 12--leave USA/arrive in Madrid, Spain. Stay 2 nights.
June 15--leave Madrid, train to Sevilla. Stay 1 night.
June 16--leave Sevilla, train to Cadiz (oldest city in western Europe). Stay one night.
June 17--leave Cadiz, train to Tarifa. Ferry over to Tangier, Morocco, Africa. Ride camel dressed like      Jasmine. Stay one night.
June 18--Leave Africa, fly back to Madrid. Stay one night.
June 19--Friends leave. I fly to Palma de Mallorca (island). Check in at language school.
June 19-26--I am living it up on the island of Mallorca off the coast of Spain.
June 26--Boat over (I think) to Barcelona. Stay 3 nights.
June 29--Fly to London. Stay 5 nights.
July 4--Back to USA unless I find travel buddies to go elsewhere.

Plane tickets are booked, my Barcelona hotel is booked as of five minutes ago, and language school is booked. Brian, my friend who lives in NY, is booking all hostels because he's awesome at finding the good deals. Jules and I are just sitting back and relaxing very impatiently (notice how I contradicted myself on purpose?).

Here's a closeup of the island. The little dot is the city where I will be.


The beach in Palma...I will be there so soon!!!!!!
Here's what I've spent so far:
  • big daddy plane ticket--1,181.00
  • plane ticket--Africa to Spain 55.18
  • plane ticket--Madrid to Mallorca 70.76
  • plane ticket--Barcelona to London 101.23
  • plane ticket--madrid to London 65.94 (this was my mess-up. It's non-refundable.)
  • language school--510
  • hotel in Barcelona--381
Total so far:  $2,364.11

Here's what else I will have to pay for:
  • hotel in Morocco
  • hostels in Madrid, Sevilla, and Cadiz
  • train ticket from Madrid to Sevilla, Sevilla to Cadiz, Cadiz to Tarifa
  • boat fare from Tarifa to Africa
  • boat fare from Mallorca to Barcelona
  • any taxis or bike rental
  • meals
Things I need to buy for trip:
  • Flip camera--duh. How else will you see me make music videos?
  • back pack--remember this is all I am carrying
  • snacks to cut down on meal costs
  • a new water bottle
  • one of those under-the-shirt money things (someone told me I could borrow those but I forgot who that was so please speak up). That reminds me of that Eminem song: "Will the real slim shady please stand up, please stand up, please stand up."  Remember? Does that ever happen to you? You say something that reminds of you random events in your life and you laugh all by yourself?
I already have me a stack of clothes that are ready to be packed up. They are old t-shirts I can leave over there. My debate with myself right now is what shoes to wear over there for walking during the day. Should I wear:
  1. tennis shoes
  2. Toms
  3. chacos
  4. flip flops
I am already carrying flip flops because that is a "can't do without" item, especially for the beach. Experienced travelers, please let me know. 

You are about to see pics of the Hotel Continental Barcelona in...Barcelona. This is where I'll stay for three nights. The pics tell a story all by themselves. Just wait and see.

The front.

It's right off La Rambla which is the equivalent of 5th Avenue in New York.

You only thought blush and bashful were bad in Steel Magnolias. I will be vomiting pink. This is not an illusion.

The best thing about this hotel other than air conditioning is the 24 hour snack bar. It's included in the room price. So awesome and worth every penny. This will save me big money on meals.


This weird looking thing is the "electronic panel". I will have a key to turn on the electricity to the appliances in my room.
That's it for now. If you have been to any of these places, I would love your input. Right now, it's just me and good old Rick Steves. Have a great Monday! Peace and Blessings!


3 comments:

Lana Summitt said...

JEALOUS

Jillian said...

I am so excited/jealous about this! And of course, I have things to say...

1. Didn't Jack go to Cadiz in Pillars of the Earth? No clue why I remember that.
2. Toms would be comfortable, but I think Chacos would be best for this trip. Very durable.
3. Definitely use the under-the-shirt money things, especially in Barcelona. I speak from experience. Ugh.
4. I'm eagerly awaiting our Italian Getaway 2012.

Kia said...

Definitely chacos!! So excited for you!!! :)