Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I hate visiting the Frustration Station

Am I heartless when my students come up to me on presentation day and tell me they need to go print off stuff? Or when they ask me, "We aren't ready. Can we present next time?" Of course I say NO. How am I preparing them for the real world by saying, "of course you can present next time. The world revolves around you. Now here's your happy meal. Enjoy!"

Teaching isn't just about teaching content but character-things that will help them be successful. It doesn't matter if you work at a law firm or McDonald's, a boss is not going to put up with an employee who is not prepared.

I LOVE each student. Truly, I do. If I didn't I would call in sick to escape them. If it's not obvious yet, babying is not the way I love. It's tough love, I guess. I wanted these presentations to be a final booster to their grade, a way to successfully end the semester. The presentations have been detrimental to their grades. Frustration strikes its ugly head again.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Lana Summitt said...

You did the right thing. You're a good teacher, Ms. Jamison!