Sunday, April 3, 2011

My latest read has poisoned me into wanting another master's degree

I said I would NEVER EVER IN A MILLION TRILLION YEARS go back to school, but I am having second thoughts. My new friend, Sarah, got her master's in public health and has traveled many places through her work with the Peace Corp. She recently got a job based out of Atlanta, GA where she will be focusing on the country of Kazakhstan. She will be educating the people there about health and wellness. She won't have to live there, but she will get to visit often. She will be doing research about things they are doing now (drinking water from the river where they also dump their feces, etc) so that she and the others on her team can better educate the people.

That is exactly what I did in Guatemala six years ago. I also got to play doctor :). Her stories have lit a fire inside of me. What if this is what I am supposed to do in life? I love teaching, and I would still be doing that. I would be teaching a different subject to a different age of people. I would get to travel and help people in a totally different way.

Another thing that spurred these feelings was my latest read, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. This book has educated me on the Congo in Africa, a place which I have not been knowledgeable. It was so enlightening, and I didn't want it to end. My friend, Sarah, spent a lot of time in Africa during her time with the Peace Corp and said the book was very true. You can read the synopsis here.

So ya'll, I probably will not get another master's degree. I am content with what I am doing. Plus, I still want to open my bakery one day. I WILL do that too. Just wait and see.

No comments: