Sunday, February 13, 2011

A little Valentine's Day trivia for ya

• About 3 percent of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets. (This is why I don’t have pets. I thought this percentage would be higher.)
• Some people used to believe if a woman saw a robin flying overhead on Valentine’s Day, it meant she would marry a sailor. If she saw a sparrow, she would marry a poor man and be very happy. If she saw a gold finch, she would marry a millionaire. (Seeing that I have no idea what kinds of birds those are, I guess I’ll just be surprised.)
• The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine’s Day. (I can say with confidence that I have NOT sent one of those.)
• The first televised tour of the White House aired on February 14, 1962. First Lady Jackie Kennedy hosted. (Two words: elegantly appropriate.)
• Hallmark has over 1,330 different cards specifically for Valentine’s Day. (Again, I can say with a crazy amount of confidence that I have NOT sent one of those.)
• Valentine’s Day has a higher percentage of male buyers than any other seasonal occasion. Fifteen percent of all valentines are purchased by males, compared to most other holidays, in which 90 percent of cards are purchased by women. (so overrated…I’m not bitter. I promise.)
• The oldest known Valentine was sent in 1415 A.D. by the Duke of Orleans to his French wife while he was imprisoned in the Tower of London. It is still on display in a museum in England. (Bless his heart…don’t you wonder what it said. I just can’t imagine what romance you can fancy while being in chains. I would want clean clothes, pizza, a cheeseburger with grilled onions, and crystal lite. Love? Hhhhmmmmm)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! And if you don't have a Valentine and love being single and sassy, come join the fun at our "It's so awesome being single" party. I'm cooking deer steak and mashed potatoes with gravy. Don't want to miss it!

No comments: