Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Birthday Extravaganza (and my award)

It was a blast! Caroline and I had our joint birthday party at Ferneau again because it was such a success last year. Being in a place with all of your friends is so awesome, so why not do the same thing again. Nine of our friends had dinner with us in the private room at Ferneau. This is where the fun began. As I was opening my presents, I flung a piece of tissue paper out of the bag and it landed on a candle. Flames shoot up. I calmly poor three glasses of water on the fire. My friend Valorie was amazed at my calmness. I just have to remind her I put out "fires" every day at school, and I must be calm and collected.

Besides the fire, I had a wonderful time. Wearing a mask and getting all gussied up is so much fun! I even wore fake eyelashes! 

The Birthday Girls--Caroline and me

My favorite part--cake!


My fabulous friends--Valorie, Sarah, Caroline, Jill, Carla, Emily, and me.


The roomies--Caroline, me and Kristi.
Lastly, I must tell you about something. This will sound indulgent, but it truly was shocking. I got an AWARD today at the faculty meeting!! I know, right? I got the I Challenge Students award, and I was chosen by Mr. Allen, the principal.   He said that when he came in to informally observe my class, I was differentiating instruction.  He talked about the rap I created, how I got the students to give me the beat, how I let my hair down, and made a fool of myself just to get my students' attention. I was shocked for a number of reasons: 1) When it is a day I am at the other campus, we aren't required to come back over for staff meetings at the other campus. Mr. Allen emailed me and asked me to be at this one. I thought I was in trouble.  2) I am the new teacher on the block. 3) I knew deep down in my heart that I was differentiating my instruction but I was just trying to prevent my students from falling asleep...again. I have to think on my feet. No wonder my voice is so hoarse.

So yay for me! That gave me motivation to finish the race...which will be over June 8. Poop.

2 comments:

Audra said...

Love it love it love it! Congrats on your award Ashe!! You are an amazing teacher :)

Carrie said...

I'm so proud of you, Ashley! I know you are an amazing teacher! Wish we worked at the same school!