Wednesday, February 9, 2011

When life gives you snow, make food!

My neighbors that live directly across the road asked us to come over and eat lunch with them today, so of course I make a bee-line for the food. I was a little reluctant to go because I hate being out in the cold and hate the snow. But food always brings out the best in me, so I went. There were six guys and then Caroline and me. Word got round that I make a mean chocolate chess pie, so I told the boys that if they could round me up 2/3 cup Crisco, I would whip them up a pie.

Low and behold, 20 minutes later I get a knock on my front door. I get the Crisco and the baking begins. Ever since my momma taught me how to make my own pie crusts back in the day, I have never, ever used a pre-made one. Homemade crusts taste so much better (in my lowly opinion).  I remember when I first began making pie crusts, I would ruin them. I would tear the crust or add too much water. But now I've got it down to an art. It's quite therapeutic. I put on Lisa Hannigan and The Format and work away.

I made the pie. With the extra crusts, I smeared butter on top and then sprinkled it with sugar and cinnamon. I baked that and took that over there as well. I think that treat might be one of the finest tasting foods that's ever melted in my mouth. It truly does melt if you eat it right out of the oven. When I say right out of the oven, I don't mean right out. Let it cool just a smidge or it'll melt your taste buds :). 

We all ate soup then chowed down on pie and crust. We played Apples to Apples then some other random game that was super fun. I love me a good game! We spent a good five hours over there. I'm sure we will be seeing more of them tomorrow since we are snowed in...again.  

All of this snow makes me want Jeremiah Johnson to knock on my door and tell me that I make really good biscuits. Ooohhheeee! He. Is. Fine.

No comments: