Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ghoulish

I was having my students describe themselves today for their penpal letters. One particular student, we'll call him Sam, is quite peculiar. I'm peculiar, so I have free reign to call others peculiar as well. Sam is different in many ways. Sometimes he says random things. When I ask him what it means, he says that only he and one other person know the secret language. I always say, "So cool. Maybe you can teach me." And then I get the stare...not a scary stare. A stare that says, "Maybe one day I will let her in on my secret language." He's contemplating. Well, today he asked me how to say "ghoulish" in Spanish. I'm usually not surprised by the strange things he says, but today I was caught off guard. I said, "You think you are ghoulish?" He said, "Yes, and dark." I had no earthly how to say ghoulish in Spanish. When would I use that? I looked it up and went on my merry way. He's a sweet kid. Peculiar? Yes, but aren't we all?

No comments: